No murder evidence of Arshad Sharif found in Kenya: JIT informs SC

The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) tasked with investigating the murder of senior journalist Arshad Sharif reported to the Supreme Court of Pakistan that no substantial evidence was discovered during their visit to Kenya and that there was a lack of cooperation from the authorities in the East African nation. The court, which was presided over by the Chief Justice of Pakistan, Umar Ata Bandial, and had four other justices, heard the suo motu notice.

In October of last year, the senior journalist was shot dead by Kenyan police in what they claimed was a case of “mistaken identity” while he was returning to Nairobi from Magadi Town in Kenya. The police said they opened fire after the vehicle he was in breached a blockade. Following the murder, the Supreme Court took notice of the case and ordered an investigation.

Arshad’s Murder was Planned – Kenya HRC

During the hearing, the JIT head, Awais Ahmed, submitted the second progress report on the investigation. When Justice Naqvi asked if the JIT had found anything during their visit to Kenya, Mr. Ahmed said the team found no solid evidence and that the authorities of the foreign country did not provide access to the evidence in the case. To this, Justice Naqbi said that the discussion of evidence would take place during the trial and that the court wanted to know what material they had collected in Kenya at this time.

In response to a question from Justice Ijazul Ahsan, the JIT head said that Mr. Sharif’s mobile phone and iPad were in the custody of Kenya’s IT department and that other belongings had been recovered. The additional attorney general, who was also present at the hearing, said that people who had registered cases against Mr. Sharif would also be interrogated, but it would be premature to name someone as the perpetrator.

Justice Naqvi reprimanded the additional attorney general, saying that this was only the first part of the investigation and it was still incomplete. CJP Bandial commented that the investigation in Pakistan was marred by multiple mistakes and expressed frustration over the leaking of the fact-finding report in the case, telling the court to find the person responsible.

When Justice Muhammad Ali Mazhar asked if the statements of two suspects, Khurram and Waqar, who had hosted Mr. Sharif in Kenya, had been recorded, the additional attorney general said that the Kenyan authorities only arranged a meeting with the Director of Public Prosecution. He also said that the Kenyan officials had promised full cooperation in the investigation, but did not allow the JIT members to visit the crime scene. He added that diplomatic pressure was being put on Kenya.

When Justice Ahsan suggested using the United Nations platform to pressure Kenya for cooperation, the additional attorney general said that Kenya was a friendly state and that they did not want to take a step that would damage bilateral relations. CJP Bandial said that Kenya was an independent state and that a respectful approach should be taken when talking to the foreign country.

The court adjourned the case for one month and asked for a progress report from the JIT in two weeks.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker