Edmonton Public Schools confirmed that more than 200 books will be removed from library shelves this fall following a provincial order to ban material with sexually explicit content. The move includes acclaimed classics such as The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
The decision sparked immediate criticism from parents, educators, and authors. Atwood herself weighed in on social media, warning readers to secure copies before what she described as “public book burnings.”
Premier Danielle Smith Accuses Board of “Vicious Compliance”
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith expressed frustration with the school board’s response, accusing Edmonton Public Schools of “vicious compliance.” Speaking at a Friday press conference, Smith argued that the government’s intent was narrowly focused on graphic novels containing explicit sexual illustrations, such as Maia Kobabe’s Gender Queer.
“We never intended for classics like The Handmaid’s Tale to be swept up in this,” Smith said while displaying excerpts from the controversial graphic novels. She urged trustees to “exercise better judgment” and suggested the government would intervene to guide the board in applying the policy.
Board Defends Its Compliance With Ministerial Order
Julie Kusiek, chair of the Edmonton Public School Board, defended the decision, stressing that trustees were following the criteria outlined by Alberta Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides.
“The result is that several excellent books will be removed from our shelves this fall,” Kusiek said in a statement. She added that trustees share families’ concerns but emphasized that responsibility rests with the ministry. “We encourage anyone concerned about book removal to contact the Minister of Education and Childcare directly.”
The division also confirmed that the current list is not final, and more titles could be added before the September deadline.
Read more: Google Issues Emergency Warning for Gmail Users After Salesforce-Linked Data Breach
Province Seeks Clarification From Edmonton Public Schools
Minister Nicolaides responded by saying his office is reviewing the list provided by Edmonton Public Schools. He questioned why some literary works were included and pledged to speak directly with the division.
“I do have some questions about how these titles were selected,” Nicolaides said. He stressed that the ministry’s goal is to protect young children from explicit content, not to erase established literature from schools.
Nicolaides added that his office would work with school boards across Alberta to ensure the rules are applied consistently and in line with their original intent.
Classics Among the Removed Titles
The list released by Edmonton Public Schools includes works by Margaret Atwood, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Alice Munro, and Maya Angelou. Critics argue that these books are central to literature curriculums and offer critical perspectives on history, politics, and identity.
Dozens of other titles will also be restricted for younger grades, even if they remain available for older students. Parents and advocacy groups warn that the sweeping removal sets a dangerous precedent for censorship in education.
Policy Implementation Deadline Approaches
Under the ministerial order signed last month, all Alberta schools must remove sexually explicit books by the end of September. By January, school boards are required to establish formal policies to maintain compliance.
While the province insists the rules were intended to safeguard children, Edmonton Public Schools’ sweeping removals highlight the growing tension between government directives and educational autonomy. As the debate intensifies, families, teachers, and authors are questioning whether Alberta is protecting students—or silencing important voices.
Follow us on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook,, X and TikTok for latest updates